INTERMODAL MASTERCLASS – BUILDING INTERMODAL EXPERTISE
After the successful completion of the first Intermodal Masterclass, several participants from different parts of Europe can now vouch for the standard of this high-level course as a forum for discovering the latest intermodal developments and taking part in an international exchange of expertise.
At the end of the masterclass, a final session will be hosted by the EIA with a presentation of papers by all participants. Papers will be evaluated by a jury of professors of all participating universities. The theme of this session is political aspects of intermodal transport, to be organized by EIA in Brussels.
PROGRAM 2012 AVAILABLE SOON !
For more information please contact: email@example.com
What can you expect?
Since intermodal transport is on top of the European transport agenda for many urgent reasons, it is essential to learn about the current situation and future challenges of intermodality.
By learning about intermodal transport in an academic and market environment, the participation in this master class will enable you not only to stay smartly ahead of your competitors but also to save your business money…
Five reasons to save your business money by participating in this course:
- Road tax, weekend bans on heavy goods vehicles and rules regarding resting periods for truckers will influence the competitive position of road-only transport;
- Manufacturing industries and ports are searching alternative rail & waterways, thus by-passing time consuming and expensive congestion towards the hinterland;
- Trade between the new member states of the enlarged European Union will increase;
- Authorities have to deal with citizens ‘voting’ increasingly against road-only transport while demanding more intelligent (intermodal) transport solutions;
- Conclusion: new businesses and operating models are required in the Intermodal chain!
All these aspects, future opportunities and technological possibilities of intermodal transport will be dealt with and discussed in the Masterclass.
Who should attend the Masterclass?
Attending the Intermodal Masterclass makes it easier to find your way on the intermodal transport market. The course will give you more understanding of the actors in and the functioning of the intermodal market, the technological developments of intermodal transport, legal and economic aspects. You will be able to consider the opportunities of intermodal transport in the transport chain more profoundly.
All participants will receive a certificate signed by the European Intermodal Association (EIA). It acknowledges the completion of a high-level intermodal “Masterclass” course.
Registration and information
In order to guarantee an optimal quality and network opportunities, a maximum of 20 participants will be selected. EIA members will be treated with priority.
Programme of the Masterclass 2011:
Session 1 – Introduction
Fontys Hogeschool, Venlo, Netherlands
- General introduction to intermodal transport.
- Definitions and intermodal concepts.
- Supply chain management concepts
- Intermodality and interoperability in the logistical chain and cost aspects.
Session 2 – Market structure and legal aspects
Kühne Institut für Logistik, Universität St. Gallen
- Market structure, key players
- Regulation of the market
- Legal and liability aspects
- Contracting and intermodal documents.
Session 3 – Technical aspects
RWTH Aachen, Germany
- Introduction to technical aspects of intermodal transport
- Intermodal systems
- Support of IT-Systems.
Session 4 – Networks
Università di Roma “La Sapienza”, Rome, Italy
- Operational and strategical aspects of intermodal transport
- Network design, operations of networks
- Border crossings
- Development of networks, hubs and inland ports.
- Development of distribution centres and logistic parks in relation to intermodal transport.
Session 5 – Continental intermodal transport
Universität Duisburg-Essen, Duisburg, Germany
- Development of intermodality in Europe since the 1970’s.
- Market and market structure of continental intermodal transport in Europe
- Cost management and pricing transport management
- Quality management
- Intermodal transport as part of a logistics chain.
Session 6 – Maritime intermodal transport
Erasmus Universiteit, Rotterdam, Netherlands
- Developments of containerization in maritime transport
- Position of shipping lines
- Development of short sea shipping
- Cost structure in container transport
- Performance, quality and operational aspects in Hinterland connections.
Final session: European Intermodal Association, Brussels
Further information to the programme
- All sessions start on Thursday at 9 a.m. and will finish on Saturday at 2 p.m.
- All students have to present a paper during the final session. The paper should preferably be based on an existing bottleneck inside his/her company. Each participant will be coached by one of the universities.
- The programme will include both academic as well as practical lectures. Working visits will complete the programme. Students will have opportunities for questions and discussions.
The information mentioned on this website is informative only.
EIA is not responsible for any misuse, misinterpretation or otherwise while no rights can be obtained from the information on this website
Press Release on EIA event, Intermodal Seminar “Adriatic-Baltic Corridor: NAPA Perspective”
Read our achievements, activities and examples how members successfully use EIA…
- MacAndrews: new refrigerated railfreight service in SpainMacAndrews has launched a new refrigerated railfreight service in Spain. The new Murcia to […]
- CargoLine achieves “green hat trick”CargoLine is the first general cargo alliance to achieve an environment protection hat tri […]
- Railway undertaking CargoServ is on track from June 1, 2013LogServ brand CargoServ to start officially operating as private railway undertaking on th […]
- Infrastructures create added value for traffic relocationA powerful, state-of-the-art freight corridor via Gotthard compensates a major part of the […]